President William Ruto has openly admitted regret over a personal decision involving his daughter’s education, revealing that he may have been wrong to discourage her from pursuing a career in film.
Speaking during a recent public event, the President shared that his daughter, Chepng’etich Ruto, had expressed interest in studying film after completing secondary school.
However, he explained that he did not support the idea at the time and instead encouraged her to pursue a different academic path.
Reflecting on the experience, Ruto acknowledged that recent events had caused him to reconsider his earlier decision.
He admitted that his daughter may have had a clear understanding of her passion and future ambitions, which he failed to appreciate at the time.
“I must apologise to my daughter,” the President stated. “After Form Four, she told me she wanted to study film, but I said no. Looking back at what I have seen this evening, I realise I was wrong. She was right, and I was not.”
His remarks quickly sparked widespread reactions across Kenya, with many people discussing the importance of allowing young people to follow their interests and talents, especially in creative industries such as film, media, and the arts.
Some Kenyans praised the President for publicly acknowledging a personal mistake, describing his comments as a rare display of humility and openness from a national leader.
Others noted that the situation reflects a common challenge faced by many families, where parents often influence their children toward traditional careers instead of supporting individual passions.
The discussion has also highlighted the growing recognition of creative industries as legitimate and valuable career paths. In recent years, sectors such as film, music, digital media, and entertainment have continued to expand, creating employment opportunities and contributing to cultural and economic growth.
Observers say the President’s statement could encourage more parents to become supportive of diverse career choices and listen more carefully to the aspirations of young people.
Beyond politics, many viewed the moment as a personal reflection that offered insight into Ruto’s family life and parenting experiences.
His comments have continued to resonate widely, with many seeing them as a reminder that even leaders can learn from past decisions and embrace changing perspectives.
0 Comments